Saturday, May 16, 2009

Safe

We're safe in Nairobi, living with a lovely host family in what GVN aptly called an "urban slum". Internet in Africa has been patchy. In fact, electricity has been patchy, but we are alive and safe and happy! We survived two twelve hours chapa rides (some people call them chicken buses) in Mozambique, a rather harrowing flight to Vic Falls on Air Zimbabwe, a four day camping trip in a National Park in Zim, Mana Pools, where elephants came very close and Will tried hard to get himself killed, and canoeing on the Zambezi (avoiding crocs and hippos!). Volunteering starts tomorrow! I'm going to be working at an orphanage and Krista at a local HIV/AIDS clinic, outreach center. We'll try to report back as often as possible. Much love. xx

3 comments:

Alistair said...

Glad to hear you are alive and well. We were wondering what happened to you.

Robert said...

My God, Kate. What did I tell you? You have responsibilities being Will's girlfriend. One being, don't let him near elephants!

I'm glad to here you're doing well. I haven't been able to debrief Will since his return, but I hope y'all enjoyed yourselves.

Heart,
Robo

Kathleen said...

I'm so glad to know where the hell y'all ARE. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!! love you